AB de Villiers retires from international cricket
Yesterday, cricket fans all around the world had to hear some news that they were definitely not ready to hear. International cricketer Abraham Benjamin de Villiers, popularly known as just ABD, took to social media to post a video that hasn't gone down well with his fans around the world - the video of him announcing his retirement from all forms of international cricket.
Born in Pretoria, South Africa and playing for the South African cricket team since 2004, AB de Villiers is one of the most loved cricketers across the world. Every year when he turns up to play the Indian Premier League in India, you hear crowds in every stadium chanting "ABD, ABD, ABD...", with love and support that no other overseas player has received in India.
Yesterday, he decided to call time on his international career, saying that he is 'tired' and that he would like to retire while he is still at the peak of his career. ABD fans will unfortunately not get the chance to cheer him in a farewell Test, ODI or T20I as he has retired with immediate effect. Watch this emotional video he posted on social media:
Here are some tweets reacting to ABD's retirement:
- Shane Watson: Congrats @ABdeVilliers17 for an international career that people only ever dream of. One of my favourite players to play against and most certainly one of my most favourite team mates I have ever played with. You will be missed mate. #respect
- Anushka Sharma: In life, what we do to positively impact the lives of others has greater meaning than what we accomplish for ourselves. You’ve managed to do both beautifully & always with such grace & integrity. Wishing you & Danielle a blessed, happy life ahead ???? @ABdeVilliers17 @DanielleDV27
- Kumar Sangakkara: Congrats to @ABdeVilliers17 on an era defining career. A wonderful advert for how glorious athleticism and cricketing skill can be at their highest levels. And More importantly a good man, humble and gentle. Good luck with all you do.
- Sachin Tendulkar: Like your on-field game, may you have 360-degree success off the field as well. You will definitely be missed, @ABdeVilliers17. My best wishes to you!
- Ravi Shastri: Brilliant player. Did wonders for the modern era of the game. A thorough gentleman and role model to millions. Take a bow ABD. @ABdeVilliers17
114 Tests, 228 ODIs and 78 T20Is is what the 34-year old played for South Africa but we won't see him in the yellow and gold jersey ever again. Having scored over 20,000 international runs, it is safe to say that he is one of the best batsmen in world cricket at the moment, with countless records to his name, including the fastest ODI 50, 100 and 150!
While he will continue to play for franchises, this legend will be missed in the international circuit. Keep reading GutshotMagazine.com for major sports and gaming related news.
|Spartan Super Series (June)||11 Jun - 17 Jun||INR 11,000|
|APT Korea Seoul||15 Jun - 24 Jun||KRW 1,100,000 (~US$ 1,000)|
|PokerBaazi Premier League - Summer 2018||18 Jun - 24 Jun||INR 16,500|
|Manila Super Series 8||2 Jul - 8 Jul||₱10,000|
|APT Vietnam Championships 2018||11 Jul - 22 Jul||VND 20,000,000|
|2018 APPT Manila||4 Aug - 12 Aug||PHP 55,000|