Bonomo, Imsirovic winners in inaugural Global Poker Awards
Last week saw Global Poker Index (GPI) finally hosting the inaugural Global Poker Awards (GPA), after announcing the nominees last month. The effort was a result of a merger between European Poker Awards and the American Poker Awards. The ceremony saw 20 categories awarding its winners.
Almedin ‘Ali’ Imsirovic won the Breakout Player of the Year award. Justin Bonomo, a player who’s had an incredible 2018, won the Moment of the Year category for winning the WSOP One for One Drop title. The Vlogger of the Year category created some moments of surprise and drama in the ceremony.
While Andrew Neeme won that category, Brad Owen, a popular YouTube streamer with 100k subscribers criticized voters for not nominating him in the category. He said, “When you’re on YouTube, you subject yourself to a lot of criticism, a lot of mean comments. Contrary to popular belief, I’m not actually a virgin as you might have read in the comments section.”
Bonomo’s speech was perhaps the best. He took the opportunity to address some key issues of our society. He said, “There is this false narrative that people who are struggling, for example those who can’t pay their own medical bills, that they made some giant mistake in their life, that they deserve to be where they are. And that just isn’t true. That’s not based on reality. People are out there fighting.”
Other notable winners of the night include Maria Ho, who won the Broadcaster of the Year category. John Cynn for Best Tournament Performance. Cynn won the 2018 WSOP Main Event for $8.8 million. Streamer of the Year title went to Lex Veldhuis, the only entity to have been nominated twice.
Here is the complete list of winners:
- John Cynn – Tournament Performance
- Almedin imsirovic – Breakout Player of the Year
- Lex Veldhuis – Streamer of the Year
- Andrew Neeme – Vlogger of the Year
- The Chip Race Poker Podcast - Podcast of the Year
- Maria Ho – Broadcaster of the Year
- Sarah Herring – Poker Journalist of the Year
- Lance Bradley – Media Content of the Year
- Angelica Hael – Industry Person
- Paul Campbell (ARIA) – Tournament Director of the Year
- RUGOOD Poker Series – Mid-Major Tour/Circuit of the Year
- WSOP Main Event – Event of the Year
- Justin Bonomo – Moment of the Year
Keep reading GutshotMagazine.com for more such industry news and for general poker news from around the world.
Check out our online poker rooms section, where you can read reviews on the biggest and best poker rooms in the country, while also taking advantage of their bonuses and promotions. Check out these top poker rooms HERE.